Mr Meanie
i must admit, compared to the other teachers, i have been awfully nice. Play games with the class, get to know them personally, wave to them whenever i see them. I decided that i will try something different to a new class. A class that has never seen me before. I stayed within the limits of course.First up. I gave out the work allocated. There was this smart alec of a boy who blurted out loudly, 'HAR! I dun want to do lar'. I seized the opportunity. I stood up, and shouted, 'WHO SAID THAT! WHO SAID THAT' I glared around and caught sight of the culprit cowering behind his worksheet. His classmates melted away in the speed of light and sabo-ing fingers immediately pointed to confirm my suspicions. I walked over.
Me: 'WHAT DID YOU SAY! YOU DON'T WANT TO DO YOUR WORK?!'
Him: " i wannnt tooo doo....'
Me: ' WHAT DID YOU SAY?'
Him: ''i wwwwannnt tooo dooo myyy wooorrk..''
Me: ' THEN DO!'
hee. yaya only. i know he certainly deserves punishment. for such a disrespectful comment.
Secondly, i decided to be very strict. A small act of mischief immediately resulted in more scolding. The scolding increased. It reached a point where i just had to glare and there would be silence.
The Ultimatum. 'Class, i will give you a spelling test. You will learn the words from this worksheet (*points to a worksheet that has a lot of hard words). You have 1/2 hour to learn. I will test you when the time is up.
Effect: Immediately, the class stared at me in horror. It climaxed when an indian girl gripped by chest and said to me, teacher..i think i will get a heart attack. * AHYA! i started smiling! Wasted!
I decided to make it more stressful. I put my own clock there on the board. Every 5 minutes, i would deduct the time shown to show them how much time they had left.
When it reached the last minute, there was a flurry of papers and lots of scratching(of heads) as they tried desperately to cram last minute stuff.
The test began. The first word was one of the hardest. Apprehension. Oh ya, i forgot to tell you, they are only 10 years old.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home