4 Wing Airbase
I remember that day. The day when all my troubles changed. It was a sunny Saturday on the 17th of May. I rose at 8.30am and the sky was so beautiful, i forgot all abouyt my char kway teow troubles. The fact that we had breakfast later on at the All-Rank's Mess contributed much to my amnesia. It was a $7 Cad breakfast buffet and which was served by cute Canadian army girls. How lovely indeed. Told ya that day was good. The menu consisted of eggs (Canadian eggs btw which were much bigger; done in any style you wish), fried sausages, crisp bacon, slabs of french toast with maple syrup, bread rolls and creamy butter, many cereal, musli and wheat choices, muffins, juices, cold milk, hot chocolate, cold cut ham, salami, fruits and fried hashbrowns. Simply exquisite. Sitting there ogling the babes frying eggs while wolfing down truckloads of bacon and potatoes was the best experience yet. So this is what Canada is really like. Nice. I Like. After breakfast where we stuffed ourselves to the point of almost bursting, we went for the orientation of 4 Wing Airbase before heading over to Canex, the airbase supermarket. We retired back to our beds to begin our long fight with jet lag and we woke up for a surprise dinner. At Golden Lake Restaurant. By now, the infamous Char Kway Teow place was the last place we wanted to go for dinner but some big shot sort of missed home cooking so with grumbling hearts, we drove to the restaurant. Again, $10 CAD for a buffet dinner that positively sucks mould. I have to say, they serve really refreshing iced water. That was it. The rest is not worth mentioning at all. One of the worse Chinese buffets I have ever had ( I have a decent amount in case you all were wondering. Despite my Peranakan heritage, i still have plenty of Ching relatives who always celebrate their happy occassions at fancy smancy cheenaget restaurants). We all proceeded to Wal-Mart after that to stock up on provisions. Suddenly, everyone ran wild. Seeing the rows of potato chips, sweets and fridges stocked with frozen pizzas, burritos and quesadillas, we all went on a mad rampage, throwing almost everything into our overloaded shopping carts from bucket loads of green tea to slabs of frozen pizza. I will come to rue the deceptively good looking pack of frozen lasagne in time. After we stocked piled enough food to feed our entire detachment, we went back to base and slept the night away.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home